Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities
A programme designed to strengthen families
Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities (SFSC) is a parenting programme designed to support you to raise happy and successful children by getting access to information and strategies for bringing up your children, meeting other parents, and making sure your voice is heard.
Access to SFSC is available as a 13 week face to programme, which is delivered in a group setting. The SFSC programme is also accredited through the Open College Network. This means that you can gain credits for taking part in the programme, which you can use when you apply for a job or if you want to go back into education.
- Is this right for me?
SFSC is for all parents. The programme is run in all communities with parents from lots of different backgrounds, including:
- Mums and dads, grandparents, foster carers, and teen parents
- Parents from different ethnic minority communities and faith backgrounds
- Parents who speak different languages
- Parents with disabilities or learning difficulties
- Individuals with very different qualifications and jobs
- People like you!
- Who will be there?
SFSC is a group-based programme, and you will usually take part alongside 8-12 other parents. The programme will run by two ‘facilitators’, who have undergone extensive training to ensure that everyone gets the most out of the programme.
- How long is the course?
It lasts for 13 weeks and each week you will attend a 3 hour session. Many groups will also provide refreshments, childcare and transport to make it easier to attend- there is no charge for these.
- What do I have to do?
Get involved! Although the facilitators will give information and techniques to help you, SFSC works best when everyone takes part fully.
The programme will help you to think about your own experiences, and about how your culture and family background have shaped your parenting style.
Each week you will also be given activities to do at home. Previous attendees have found that if they do these, they get more out of the programme.
- What will SFSC give me?
SFSC will help you to answer these important parenting questions:
- How can I motivate my child to try their best at school?
- How do I build a better relationship with my child?
- How do I stop my teenager getting involved in drinking, drugs, antisocial behaviour or truanting?
- How do I encourage my partner to participate in my child’s life?
- How do I put boundaries in place with my child?
- What youth and parent services are available in my community?
The programme will provide:
- A safe space to share your views and be listened to
- An opportunity to get information and ideas to help with decisions about bringing up your children
- New skills, and support in developing your confidence
connections with the wider communities and services in your area.
The classes were excellent. The facilitators ensured that everyone was included. They listened to, respected and valued each person. The sessions were always varied, well-paced and interesting. I would recommend this class for every parent.
Parent / on SFSC course
of parents rate facilitators skills and knowledge
of parents feel good about their relationship with their child after completing the course
of parents recommend the programme to others
Sign up for a programme
If you live in Lambeth, Lewisham, Islington, Southwark and Waltham Forest, you can sign up for a programme by filling our SFSC referral form
Interested and would like to know more?
If you do not live in the areas mentioned and would like to express your interest so we can help you locate a programme near you…
Register your interest
Still unsure this is right for you? Let’s talk